Saturday, March 22, 2008

Take me out to the ball game...

My oh my, is it warm here! The sun won't stop shining, there are no clouds, it's in the mid-80s every day. Absolutely ridiculous. I kid, I kid (a little bit of a Triumph reference there...). Everything I said about the weather is true, but it is absolutely wonderful. We are definitely taking full advantage of this change in climate.

Yesterday we started the day off at the library (needed reading material for the pool visit later in the day) and then headed off to the pickleball courts. Tom and I are giving Grant and Bobbie a run for their money but we are still losing more than we win. It really is a fun game. All of the people out here are always so excited to see young people, we're like magnets that draw them in. At the least, they always want to say "hi" and see where we are from. We run into a lot of people from Michigan so they always want to talk more once they find out where we're from.

Our "busy" day continued after pickleball when we went to the pool for a couple of hours. The water is the perfect temperature, but it is a bit chilly when you get out (there's just enough of a breeze); of course that only lasts about 3 minutes - the time it takes for all of the water to evaporate off. I wore sunscreen but it must not have been enough because I got a little bit of a burn on my forehead and shoulders. It should be fine by the end of the day though.

We had steak and brats for dinner before heading off to the Angels-Rangers game. Jared Weaver was pitching for the Angels and I had a chance to watch him pitch in the bullpen before the game (we sat on the lawn right next to the pen). It was amazing to see his pitches up close like that. His fastball (93+) looks even faster when you're that close - but the truly amazing thing was his off-speed pitches (in the 70s) in contrast to his fastball. He definitely made some guys look silly in the game with those off-speed pitches. There were also some fireworks during the 7th inning stretch.

I was definitely ready to be out of school for a few days. It's nice to be able to play. I made the comment the other day at the softball game that everyone out here is recreating their youth. Think about all the things that you did as a kid: Little League, playing pick-up games with your friends, swimming at the pool. They are living a lifetime summer vacation! Except they can drive (though usually in golf carts, which kids could probably drive anyway).

Alrighty then, I'm going to wrap up this post and get some pictures uploaded for everyone to see. Looking forward to your comments...

No comments: